MB Shah Commission gets second extension
Ahmedabad: Gujarat government has granted a three-month extension, second so far, to Justice M B Shah inquiry commission probing corruption charges levelled by opposition Congress against Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
"As there is still some procedure going on vis-a-vis examination of evidences, hence state government has granted further extension till the end of September this year," Bhaskar Tanna, special counsel for state government said.
The one-member panel, headed by retired Supreme Court Judge M B Shah, was set up by the state government on August 17, 2011 in the wake of Congress submitting a memorandum to President Pratibha Patil in June 2011 alleging that the Modi government had indulged in large scale corruption and extended undue favours to some industrial houses.
The commission`s term was extended for three months in March this year.
The terms of reference of the Commission included inquiry into the allegations regarding favouritism towards certain corporate entities in gross negligence in this regard, if any, by the government, and any other allegation that the panel may deem fit to inquire, besides probe into the manner in which land had been allotted to industry houses, and analyse all tax concessions given in Gujarat vis-a-vis other states.
The panel is also looking into post-1980 role of successive state governments in giving special relaxations to industrial houses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video