Medha Patekar opposes raising height of Sardar Sarovar dam
New Delhi: Social activist Medha Patkar led a demonstration at Jantar Mantar here protesting Gujarat government`s proposal to raise the height of Sardar Sarovar dam in the state.
Addressing the protesters, Patkar attacked Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi for proposing to raise the height of the dam saying it will bring destruction in the Narmada valley.
"Modi`s claim that Maharashtra can get free electricity after raising the height of Sardar Sarovar dam is baseless. We have documents to prove him wrong," she said.
The activist claimed that raising the height of the dam as proposed will affect lives of more than 2.5 lakh farmers and adivasis in the Narmada valley and severely impact socio-economic and environmental interests of Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra and Gujarat.
"When the expert committees of Ministry of Forest and Environment have exposed serious non-compliance on numerous environmental issues, when costs and benefits are in complete doldrums, when the present grievance redress authority of Madhya Pradesh and Maharashtra have not consented to the increase in dam height, how and why should the height of Sardar Sarovar be increased further," Patkar said.
The social activist also criticised Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan government for the "shoddy" implementation of rehabilitation of the landless in Madhya Pradesh.
Delhi University teacher Manoranjan Mohanty, who also participated in the demonstration, alleged that Gujarat government has been seeking support for raising the height of the Sardar Sarovar dam on "false premises".
"The model of development proposed by Modi that robs the poor and feeds the rich is not what India wants. We need an approach that protects our agriculture and strengthens our forest cover," he said.
Some of the demonstrators also protested outside the Ministry of Water Resources under which the Narmada Control Authority functions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video