Medha Patkar cross-examined in 2002 case of attack on her
Ahmedabad: Narmada Bachao Andolan (NBA) leader Medha Patkar was on Monday cross-examined by the defence counsel in metropolitan magistrate`s court in connection with the attack on her during a public meeting held to condemn the 2002 riots.
On September 5, Patkar had deposed before metropolitan magistrate A S Desai and said the attack at Sabarmati Ashram here was a part of a "conspiracy" to kill her.
During the public meeting held on March 7, 2002, a group of Akhil Bharatiya Vidhyarthi Parishad (ABVP) workers protested Patkar`s presence and allegedly attacked her and other prominent social activists present there. Several people, including some media-persons, sustained injuries during the melee.
Patkar, apart from filing police complaint, also filed a private complaint in the magistrate`s court.
Former Ahmedabad mayor Amit Shah, BJP leader Amit Thakar, V K Saxena and Rohit Patel have been named in the FIR.
During today`s cross-examination, Patkar was quizzed more about Narmada Bachao Andolan, which had nothing to do with the attack on her. The magistrate refrained the defence from asking "irrelevant" questions about the NBA.
The next hearing in the case would be held on November 15.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured