Medha Patkar cross-examined in 2002 case of attack on her
Ahmedabad: Narmada Bachao Andolan (NBA) leader Medha Patkar was on Monday cross-examined by the defence counsel in metropolitan magistrate`s court in connection with the attack on her during a public meeting held to condemn the 2002 riots.
On September 5, Patkar had deposed before metropolitan magistrate A S Desai and said the attack at Sabarmati Ashram here was a part of a "conspiracy" to kill her.
During the public meeting held on March 7, 2002, a group of Akhil Bharatiya Vidhyarthi Parishad (ABVP) workers protested Patkar`s presence and allegedly attacked her and other prominent social activists present there. Several people, including some media-persons, sustained injuries during the melee.
Patkar, apart from filing police complaint, also filed a private complaint in the magistrate`s court.
Former Ahmedabad mayor Amit Shah, BJP leader Amit Thakar, V K Saxena and Rohit Patel have been named in the FIR.
During today`s cross-examination, Patkar was quizzed more about Narmada Bachao Andolan, which had nothing to do with the attack on her. The magistrate refrained the defence from asking "irrelevant" questions about the NBA.
The next hearing in the case would be held on November 15.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- British PM to put stamp on Brexit before G20 summit
- Germany's top immigration officer anticipates 300,000 refugees in 2016
- Wow! Soon you may find a robot greeting you at HDFC Bank
- Half of states expected to ratify GST by early September
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway