Medha Patkar cross-examined in 2002 case of attack on her
Ahmedabad: Narmada Bachao Andolan (NBA) leader Medha Patkar was on Monday cross-examined by the defence counsel in metropolitan magistrate`s court in connection with the attack on her during a public meeting held to condemn the 2002 riots.
On September 5, Patkar had deposed before metropolitan magistrate A S Desai and said the attack at Sabarmati Ashram here was a part of a "conspiracy" to kill her.
During the public meeting held on March 7, 2002, a group of Akhil Bharatiya Vidhyarthi Parishad (ABVP) workers protested Patkar`s presence and allegedly attacked her and other prominent social activists present there. Several people, including some media-persons, sustained injuries during the melee.
Patkar, apart from filing police complaint, also filed a private complaint in the magistrate`s court.
Former Ahmedabad mayor Amit Shah, BJP leader Amit Thakar, V K Saxena and Rohit Patel have been named in the FIR.
During today`s cross-examination, Patkar was quizzed more about Narmada Bachao Andolan, which had nothing to do with the attack on her. The magistrate refrained the defence from asking "irrelevant" questions about the NBA.
The next hearing in the case would be held on November 15.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back