‘Meeting with Modi logical next step in ties’
Ahmedabad: UK`s Minister of State for the Foreign Office Hugo Swire Wednesday met Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, and later said it was "a logical next step" in his country`s relations with Gujarat.
The meeting comes after UK decided to re-engage with the state recently, ending the boycott post-2002 riots.
Swire is the first minister from UK, or for that matter any European country, to meet Modi after the riots. The meeting took place in Gandhinagar, the state capital.
"My visit today has been the logical next step since our decision to re-engage with the democratically elected leadership of this important state," Swire said, after the 30-minute-long meeting with Modi.
While Modi said the UK-Gujarat ties were now on a fast track.
The UK minister, however ,evaded reply when asked whether he invited Modi to visit UK. "What you are witnessing is gradual scaling up of the relations between Gujarat and UK. First our high commissioner visited Gujarat in October last year, and it is followed by my visit today," he said.
The UK which, had boycotted Modi government after the 2002 riots citing large-scale human rights violations, changed the policy last October, just before the Gujarat elections.
"I am confident that active engagement is the best way to pursue British interests in Gujarat. This includes support for the British nationals in Gujarat, for the large Gujarati community in the UK, for human rights, and good governance," Swire said.
He also said that he raised the issue of human rights and situation of minorities with Modi.
"The Chief Minister listened to us very carefully and he also spoke about situation of minorities and what the state government was doing for them, and how a small Jewish population and small Christan population have settled here."
Swire said the two also discussed progress of the case related to killing of two British nationals during the 2002 riots.
"Apart from that, our discussions were on the issue of coalition politics and situation in India, safety of women and a lot about business opportunities," Swire said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- British tourist masturbated at in Mumbai; Indian men apologise
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now