Mild quakes strike Western India; no damage
Pune/Ahmedabad: Two earthquakes of mild intensity shook parts of Maharashtra and Gujarat on Saturday, but there were no reports of any casualty.
A quake measuring 5 on the Richter scale was experienced in parts of western Maharashtra at 10.50 am. Its epicentre was Goshatwadi village, about 10km from Koyana dam in Satara district, the Met office here said.
An aftershock of 4.4 magnitude was registered an hour later, it said.
The Koyna dam, situated in a quake-prone region, is safe, officials said.
The tremors were also felt in several parts of Mumbai, Satara, Sangli, Kolhapur, Pune, Ratnagiri and Sindhudurg districts.
There were no reports of any damage to life or property, they added.
A quake, measuring 4.1 on the Richter scale, was felt at 8.55 am in parts of Gujarat. The earthquake had its epicentre at Vamka taluka in Kutch, which is an active fault line, scientists at Institute of Seismological Research said.
An aftershock measuring 2.9 was also felt, they said.
Besides Kutch district, tremors were experienced in parts of Saurashtra region.
No loss of life or damage to property has been reported so far in Gujarat, officials said.
Among those who felt the tremors in Mumbai were megastar Amitabh Bachchan, who resides in suburban Juhu.
"Earthquake in Mumbai ! Did you feel it.. I did..Shutters and building shook twice for few seconds," Bachchan tweeted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city