Mild quakes strike Western India; no damage
Pune/Ahmedabad: Two earthquakes of mild intensity shook parts of Maharashtra and Gujarat on Saturday, but there were no reports of any casualty.
A quake measuring 5 on the Richter scale was experienced in parts of western Maharashtra at 10.50 am. Its epicentre was Goshatwadi village, about 10km from Koyana dam in Satara district, the Met office here said.
An aftershock of 4.4 magnitude was registered an hour later, it said.
The Koyna dam, situated in a quake-prone region, is safe, officials said.
The tremors were also felt in several parts of Mumbai, Satara, Sangli, Kolhapur, Pune, Ratnagiri and Sindhudurg districts.
There were no reports of any damage to life or property, they added.
A quake, measuring 4.1 on the Richter scale, was felt at 8.55 am in parts of Gujarat. The earthquake had its epicentre at Vamka taluka in Kutch, which is an active fault line, scientists at Institute of Seismological Research said.
An aftershock measuring 2.9 was also felt, they said.
Besides Kutch district, tremors were experienced in parts of Saurashtra region.
No loss of life or damage to property has been reported so far in Gujarat, officials said.
Among those who felt the tremors in Mumbai were megastar Amitabh Bachchan, who resides in suburban Juhu.
"Earthquake in Mumbai ! Did you feel it.. I did..Shutters and building shook twice for few seconds," Bachchan tweeted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demand ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!