‘Minorities sub quota afflictive for backwards’
Ahmedabad: Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday described as "afflictive for backward classes" the Centre`s decision of allotting 4.5 per cent sub quota for minorities within the existing 27 per cent OBC reservation.
"The Centre`s decision of snatching four per cent reservation benefits from the 27 per cent quota of OBC is afflictive for socially and educationally backward class people," Modi said while speaking at an event of Raval Yogi community in Gandhinagar.
"By causing pain to the people of backward classes, the Centre would not be able to enjoy power for long," he said.
On the occasion, Modi felicitated 10 prominent members of the community and 21 others, who had contributed for the uplift of the community. He also released a book, titled `Aapno Raval Samaj`, on the occasion.
Modi lauded the community`s efforts for empowering its members. He acknowledged the contribution of his teachers belonging to Raval Yogi community in shaping his life.
The chief minister urged the youths to take benefits of the educational schemes which his government has launched for backward communities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened