Mixed response for bandh in Gujarat
Ahmedabad: The nationwide bandh called by the NDA and Left parties to protest the steep petrol price hike on Thursday evoked a mixed response in Gujarat.
Shops and commercial establishments remained closed in Ahmedabad even as the state government suspended bus services in the city after buses were pelted with stones by the protesters.
BJP workers also tried to block rail traffic.
Auto-rickshaws also joined the shutdown adding to the woes of commuters in the city as party workers took to streets to enforce the bandh call.
Reports from Saurashtra say the bandh was total in Rajkot, Amreli and Bhavnagar district, while it met with a mixed response in Jamnagar.
Rajkot Chamber of Commerce and Industry stayed away from the bandh, saying that the state government could have reduced VAT on petrol to provide some relief to people.
In Vadodara, autorikshaws continued to ply on roads undeterred by the bandh call though commuters complained of fleecing by some unscrupulous drivers who tried to exploit the situation.
Vitcos, a private company running bus services in the city, has pulled out buses fearing violence by the agitators.
Almost all business organisations and associations have extended their full support to the shutdown and remained closed down.
The petrol pumps and CNG stations too remained closed.
The bandh is peaceful so far and no major untoward incident is reported anywhere from the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi