MLA Pravin Rathod wins Congress primary in Bhavnagar
Bhavnagar: Sitting Congress MLA from Palitana, Pravin Rathod on Sunday won the primary election held by his party for choosing its candidate for the Bhavnagar Lok Sabha constituency.
Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi has introduced the system of internal elections, called primaries, to select candidates for 16 Lok Sabha constituencies including Bhavnagar and Vadodara in Gujarat.
The others in the fray were Jilla Panchayat member Digvijaysinh Gohil, Ghogha Taluka Panchayat president Jitu Vaghela and former MLA Natu Dabhi`s son, Jivan Dabhi.
Of the 858 Congress workers and local leaders who had registered themselves as voters, 576 votes were cast on Sunday.
"Rathod received 303 votes and was declared a clear winner. Gohil came second with 133 votes, while Dabhi and Vaghela came third and fourth respectively," said Dr D B Raninga, president of Bhavnagar city and district Congress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand