MLA Pravin Rathod wins Congress primary in Bhavnagar
Bhavnagar: Sitting Congress MLA from Palitana, Pravin Rathod on Sunday won the primary election held by his party for choosing its candidate for the Bhavnagar Lok Sabha constituency.
Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi has introduced the system of internal elections, called primaries, to select candidates for 16 Lok Sabha constituencies including Bhavnagar and Vadodara in Gujarat.
The others in the fray were Jilla Panchayat member Digvijaysinh Gohil, Ghogha Taluka Panchayat president Jitu Vaghela and former MLA Natu Dabhi`s son, Jivan Dabhi.
Of the 858 Congress workers and local leaders who had registered themselves as voters, 576 votes were cast on Sunday.
"Rathod received 303 votes and was declared a clear winner. Gohil came second with 133 votes, while Dabhi and Vaghela came third and fourth respectively," said Dr D B Raninga, president of Bhavnagar city and district Congress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees