MLA Pravin Rathod wins Congress primary in Bhavnagar
Bhavnagar: Sitting Congress MLA from Palitana, Pravin Rathod on Sunday won the primary election held by his party for choosing its candidate for the Bhavnagar Lok Sabha constituency.
Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi has introduced the system of internal elections, called primaries, to select candidates for 16 Lok Sabha constituencies including Bhavnagar and Vadodara in Gujarat.
The others in the fray were Jilla Panchayat member Digvijaysinh Gohil, Ghogha Taluka Panchayat president Jitu Vaghela and former MLA Natu Dabhi`s son, Jivan Dabhi.
Of the 858 Congress workers and local leaders who had registered themselves as voters, 576 votes were cast on Sunday.
"Rathod received 303 votes and was declared a clear winner. Gohil came second with 133 votes, while Dabhi and Vaghela came third and fourth respectively," said Dr D B Raninga, president of Bhavnagar city and district Congress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Euro 2016: Belgium beat Hungary 4-0 to reach quarterfinal as Yannick Carrasco scores final goal
- Singapore Airlines flight caught fire during emergency landing at Changi Airport - Details here
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic