MLAs should get information sooner than citizens: Gujarat Speaker
Gandhinagar: Taking a serious note of delay in providing information to a Congress MLA by the state administration, Gujarat Assembly Speaker Vaju Vala on Friday asked Ministers to make sure legislators get required information at the earliest.
MLA Paresh Dhanani told the Speaker he had sought reply from Rajkot Police Commissioner about some issue last year.
"One year back, I sent a letter and asked the Rajkot Police Commissioner to provide information about an issue. Even after several written reminders, I have not been given any information," he said.
"When a common man can get information within 30 days through RTI, why an MLA is not entitled to get information even after one year?" Dhanani added.
The Opposition MLA raised the issue when Minister of State for Home Rajni Patel was concluding his statement on the provisions made in the Budget for Home department.
Vala took note of Dhanani`s grievance and asked Patel as well all other BJP Ministers to look promptly in such matters.
"As the Speaker, it is my duty to protect the rights of every elected representative (MLAs). If a common man can get information in 30 days, then it is necessary that an MLA gets it even sooner.
"You (Ministers) must ensure that all your officials show promptness if an MLA seeks any information," Vala said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state