Moderate-to-heavy rains in north Guj, Saurashtra
Ahmedabad: Heavy rains lashed Ahmedabad city on Saturday while normal life was affected across north Gujarat and Saurashtra due to the rainfall, ranging from moderate to very heavy, in the last 24 hours.
The city recorded over 38 mm rainfall till the evening resulting in heavy water-logging in many parts, Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation (AMC) officials said.
"Trees got uprooted at around 6-8 places leading to traffic jams," fire officials said, adding that no casualty had been reported so far.
Six underpasses were closed due to water-logging, disrupting the traffic movement in the city.
Heavy rains were also reported from north, south and central Gujarat.
"In the last 12 hours fairly widespread rainfall in Gujarat region has been received," a regional IMD official said, adding that heavy to very heavy rains could occur at isolated places over Gujarat and Diu, Daman, Dadra Nagar Haveli in the next 12 hours.
Water levels in a dozen dams in Saurashtra have risen by as much as 12 feet as heavy rains are lashing the region for the last 36 hours.
Water level at Und dam in Jamnagar rose by 12 feet, at Sindhari it rose by 5 feet, and by 8 ft at Abarka dam, while Willington dam in Junagadh was overflowing.
Jamnagar has recorded about 225 mm rainfall while Junagadh 76 mm, Keshod 67 mm, Ranavav in Porbandar 86 mm, Dhoraji in Rajkot 96 mm, Amreli 58 mm and Chotila in Surendranagar 34 mm, Met department said.
Long-distance trains are delayed on Rajkot-Mumbai route; Saurashtra Mail coming from Mumbai is running seven hours late, Rajkot Railway division said.
But no rain-related casualties were reported in the last 36 hours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened