Modhvadia takes charge as Gujarat Congress president
Ahmedabad: Newly-appointed Gujarat Congress
president Arjun Modhvadia on Sunday said his priority would be to
strengthen the party and take its reach to the grassroots.
"The party has bestowed a big responsibility on me and I
would sincerely work to fulfil its requirements," Modhvadia
told reporters after taking charge as the President of the
Gujarat Pradesh Congress Committee (GPCC) today.
"The people of the state, the youth and those at the
grassroots level are fed up with the BJP government here. We
need to work toward strengthening the party in the state and
extend its reach to the grassroots level," the MLA from
Modhvadia said his party would put up a challenge to the
ruling BJP which he described as "fascist" outfit with
He replaced Siddharth Patel, who had resigned last
October, but was holding the post in the interim. Modhvadia`s
appointment was announced by Congress President Sonia Gandhi
Modhvadia comes from the Mer community of farmers in
Saurashtra which falls in Other Backward Classes category.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre