Modhvadia takes charge as Gujarat Congress president
Ahmedabad: Newly-appointed Gujarat Congress
president Arjun Modhvadia on Sunday said his priority would be to
strengthen the party and take its reach to the grassroots.
"The party has bestowed a big responsibility on me and I
would sincerely work to fulfil its requirements," Modhvadia
told reporters after taking charge as the President of the
Gujarat Pradesh Congress Committee (GPCC) today.
"The people of the state, the youth and those at the
grassroots level are fed up with the BJP government here. We
need to work toward strengthening the party in the state and
extend its reach to the grassroots level," the MLA from
Modhvadia said his party would put up a challenge to the
ruling BJP which he described as "fascist" outfit with
He replaced Siddharth Patel, who had resigned last
October, but was holding the post in the interim. Modhvadia`s
appointment was announced by Congress President Sonia Gandhi
Modhvadia comes from the Mer community of farmers in
Saurashtra which falls in Other Backward Classes category.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred