Modi accuses Guv of obstructing Women`s Bill
Ahmedabad: Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra
Modi on Sunday accused Governor Kamla Beniwal of rejecting a bill
providing 50 per cent reservation to women in local government
bodies "despite being a woman herself`.
"I had decided that 50 per cent reservation to women in
local bodies` elections would help them. But the Governor
rejected the proposal and sent it back. This was despite she
being a woman herself," Modi said at a function in Mahatma
Gandhi`s birthplace Porbandar on his 142nd birth anniversary.
Modi said that the governor also rejected another
important bill that could have benefited thousands of middle
class families in the state.
"We had decided to regularise illegal constructions by
levying impact fee, but the governor rejected that bill too.
This bill could have solved problems of a number of middle
class people," Modi said.
The chief minister also took on the central government,
challenging it to compete with Gujarat in development, rather
than taking a path of conflict and maligning the state.
He said that Gujarat`s model of development and
governance is being hailed the world over and people`s
confidence in the government`s transparent policies, is
increasing by the day.
"Although Gujarat is a part of India, the Congressmen,
particularly at the Centre, pounce upon Gujarat, envious of
its progress. It is time for the people of Gujarat to identify
the foes of Gujarat," Modi said.
On the occasion, Modi released the Braille edition of his
book titled `Premteerth` for the visually-challenged that has
been translated by Mahendrabhai Mehta.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days