Modi affidavit issue: Court asks cops to give report by May 21
Ahmedabad: A local court on Monday expressed unhappiness over the "approach" of the police in connection with submission of report on the complaint of a AAP member who has accused Gujarat chief minister Narendra Modi of "hiding" his marital status in his affidavit filed for 2012 assembly polls.
The court granted the police time until May 21 to submit the report on investigation into the complaint of Nishant Verma.
When the proceedings of the court began, officials of the concerned police station said the probe into Verma`s complaint was handed over to the crime branch.
However, Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate M M Sheikh expressed his dissatisfaction over the written reply and summoned Inspector of Ranip police station P D Champavat to court.
Champavat told the court that crime branch was investigating the complaint and the report should be sought from them.
However, Verma`s counsel said the crime branch had informed them that they conducted a preliminary investigation and already submitted the report to the office of the Police Commissioner.
To this, the court expressed its unhappiness over the approach of the police and asked the officer to submit the report by May 21.
Verma had earlier approached Ranip police station seeking to lodge an FIR against Modi for "hiding" information on his marital status in his affidavit at the time of 2012 state assembly elections.
Verma had also sought to name P K Jadeja, who had worked as Returning Officer at Maninanagar assembly seat in 2012, in the FIR and appropriate action against him.
Modi had for the first time acknowledged Jashodaben as his wife when he filed mandatory affidavit, along with his nomination papers, for Vadodara Lok Sabha seat.
The acknowledgement had caused a furore, with the opposition parties trading barbs at BJP`s PM nominee over the "late admission" of his relationship with Jashodaben.
In earlier assembly elections, Modi had left the "spouse" column blank.
As the city police were seemingly not keen to entertain Verma`s application seeking registration of an FIR against Modi, the AAP member approached the court.
Verma had also written to state Chief Electoral Officer Anita Karwal seeking action against the chief minister.
Verma had listed a number of IPC sections in his application against Modi for giving a false statement, false evidence under oath, for abetting a false statement or evidence and cheating or dishonestly inducing delivery of property.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India