Modi-baiter cop Sanjeev Bhatt arrested
Ahmedabad: Suspended IPS officer Sanjeev Bhatt was on Friday arrested in connection with an FIR filed against him by a police constable for allegedly threatening and making him sign a "false" affidavit about a high-level
meeting called by Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on February 27, 2002.
"Bhatt has been brought in for questioning with regard to the FIR against him in the Ghatlodia police station," Gujarat DGP Chitranjan Singh.
"His statement will be recorded," he said.
Shortly after Bhatt’s arrest, the Gujarat police conducted a raid at his residence in Memnagar to "check for evidence" related to the case.
Bhatt has received a notice issued to Gujarat Police with regard to the case from the Supreme Court on his petition,
The suspended officer, who has alleged Modi`s complicity in post-Godhra riots, was taken to the Ghatlodia
police station by ACP N C Patel, police said.
Constable K D Pant, who was working under Bhatt during 2002 riots, had registered the FIR accusing Bhatt of
threatening a public servant (Pant), fabricating false evidence and wrongful confinement.
According to Pant`s FIR, on June 16 he got a call from Bhatt asking him to come to his residence for some work.
As per the FIR, when Pant reached Bhatt`s residence, the IPS officer told him that the amicus curie from the Supreme Court was coming on June 18 and they had to meet him to record
Pant alleged Bhatt had asked him to tell the amicus curie that SIT had forcefully recorded his statement. When he resisted, Bhatt allegedly threatened him and said there was no
need to worry if he did what he was told.
The police constable further claimed that Bhatt took him to meet state Congress president Arjun Modhwadia at his residence. Modhwadia too assured him that there was no need to
worry and he should do what Bhatt was asking to do, he added.
After meeting Modhwadia, Bhatt took Pant to the office of
an advocate and notary near the Gujarat High Court and made
him sign two sets of affidavits, the FIR states.
Bhatt in his affidavit filed in the Supreme Court, where
he had alleged complicity of Modi in post-Godhra riots, had
stated that Pant who knew about Modi`s meeting was threatened
with dire consequences and arrested by the special
investigation team (SIT) which is probing some of the 2002
riot cases on the direction of the apex court.
He had also alleged Pant was virtually treated like an
accused by the SIT during his questioning on April 5, 2011.
Several activists have slammed the Narendra Modi government over the arrest of Sanjeev Bhatt in connection with an FIR filed by a police constable.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan