Modi-baiter cop Sanjeev Bhatt arrested
Ahmedabad: Suspended IPS officer Sanjeev Bhatt was on Friday arrested in connection with an FIR filed against him by a police constable for allegedly threatening and making him sign a "false" affidavit about a high-level
meeting called by Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on February 27, 2002.
"Bhatt has been brought in for questioning with regard to the FIR against him in the Ghatlodia police station," Gujarat DGP Chitranjan Singh.
"His statement will be recorded," he said.
Shortly after Bhatt’s arrest, the Gujarat police conducted a raid at his residence in Memnagar to "check for evidence" related to the case.
Bhatt has received a notice issued to Gujarat Police with regard to the case from the Supreme Court on his petition,
The suspended officer, who has alleged Modi`s complicity in post-Godhra riots, was taken to the Ghatlodia
police station by ACP N C Patel, police said.
Constable K D Pant, who was working under Bhatt during 2002 riots, had registered the FIR accusing Bhatt of
threatening a public servant (Pant), fabricating false evidence and wrongful confinement.
According to Pant`s FIR, on June 16 he got a call from Bhatt asking him to come to his residence for some work.
As per the FIR, when Pant reached Bhatt`s residence, the IPS officer told him that the amicus curie from the Supreme Court was coming on June 18 and they had to meet him to record
Pant alleged Bhatt had asked him to tell the amicus curie that SIT had forcefully recorded his statement. When he resisted, Bhatt allegedly threatened him and said there was no
need to worry if he did what he was told.
The police constable further claimed that Bhatt took him to meet state Congress president Arjun Modhwadia at his residence. Modhwadia too assured him that there was no need to
worry and he should do what Bhatt was asking to do, he added.
After meeting Modhwadia, Bhatt took Pant to the office of
an advocate and notary near the Gujarat High Court and made
him sign two sets of affidavits, the FIR states.
Bhatt in his affidavit filed in the Supreme Court, where
he had alleged complicity of Modi in post-Godhra riots, had
stated that Pant who knew about Modi`s meeting was threatened
with dire consequences and arrested by the special
investigation team (SIT) which is probing some of the 2002
riot cases on the direction of the apex court.
He had also alleged Pant was virtually treated like an
accused by the SIT during his questioning on April 5, 2011.
Several activists have slammed the Narendra Modi government over the arrest of Sanjeev Bhatt in connection with an FIR filed by a police constable.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is India indulging in peace talks with Pak despite its terrorism-inducing diplomacy?
- Why is India indulging in peace talks with Pak despite its terrorism-inducing diplomacy? - Part II
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Restless Leg Syndrome: Treat the disorder with this amazingly simple trick! - Watch video
- Boris Johnson claims India owes UK multi-million pounds
- Trump's NATO comments show 'lack of preparedness': Obama
- Govt should resist urge of control everything: Arun Jaitley
- Sushma Swaraj can't give verdict on 'future of Kashmir': Pakistan