Modi calls PM `Singham for foreigners`, slams FDI in retail
Bhavnagar: Dubbing Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh as "Singham for foreigners", Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi Saturday said the country wanted to know how many "Italian businessmen" would benefit by the decision to allow FDI in retail.
"You (Prime Minister) are allowing foreign traders to enter India.....What would be the percentage of businessmen from Italy, the country wants to know," Modi said.
"How many businessmen from Italy are going to take advantage of this? How many businessmen from Italy are going to come to India to run grocery stores?" Modi said, addressing a youth convention here.
Quoting the PM`s reported statement that he would rather "go down fighting" to push the economic reforms, Modi said: "Dr Manmohan Singh has overnight turned Singham."
Singham is the name of a tough-cop protagaonist of a Bollywood film starring Ajay Devgan.
"Dr Manmohan Singh, you don`t have that strength in your bones that you can die fighting....Instead you should have said `we will fight dying every moment` (marte-marte ladenge)," Modi said.
"In the last eight years of his rule, I have seen the Prime Minister showing spine and holding his head high only twice.
"The first time when he was signing the nuclear treaty with US, and all his allies were opposing it....He said if my government has to go, let it go, I will sign the nuclear treaty at any cost.
"Whenever the issue of corruption comes up, the Prime Minister cites coalition dharma as a constraint," Modi said.
"(But) For the second time, the PM has again done it for the foreigners (defying the allies), so that they can come here to conquer the trade of India and take away employment," Modi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!