‘Modi caused `constitutional crisis` in Gujarat’
Ahmedabad: Alleging that the Narendra
Modi-led government has caused a `constitutional crisis` in
Gujarat, a delegation of eminent citizens led by former Chief
Minister Suresh Mehta has approached the Governor, seeking her
The delegation handed over a memorandum to Governor Kamla
on Thursday and apprised her of the alleged `breakdown` of the
constitutional machinery in Gujarat.
Besides Mehta, a former BJP leader, the delegation
includes senior advocate Balwantbhai Desai, former Additional
Solicitor General of India Irfan Engineer and social activist
"The main cause of constitutional crisis is that the
Chief Minister of Gujarat is abusing his position as
administrative head of the state in practically all spheres of
administration," the delegation said in its memorandum.
Referring to IPS officers Rahul Sharma and Sanjiv Bhatt,
they alleged that Modi was intimidating civil servants to act
on his dictates, and he and his ministers victimised officials
by chargesheeting or suspending them, if they didn`t comply.
The Gujarat government has suspended Bhatt and charge-
sheeted Sharma for speaking against it over the 2002 riots.
The delegation further alleged that Modi instead of
prosecuting those guilty of murders, mayhem and destruction,
was taking steps to ensure that they go scot-free.
Demanding immediate resignation of Additional Advocate
General Tushar Mehta, the delegation alleged that instead of
performing his duty he was colluding with Modi and leaking
documents related to post-Godhra riots?to?the accused.
They accused Modi of `deliberately` promoting divisive
society and intimidating minorities. They further alleged that
Modi and his ministers were misusing state funds for political
and personal gains.
The delegation demanded that their allegations be probed
by an independent agency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- DNA: Analysing the derogatory remarks made by Chinese Newspaper on Indians
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption