Modi condemns violence at Maruti`s Manesar plant
Tokyo: Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, who is on a visit here to woo investors, today condemned violence at Maruti Suzuki`s Manesar plant, stating such incidents should not happen anywhere in the world.
Amid speculation that he would be pitching for more investment from Suzuki Motor Corp, parent of the Indian carmaker, Modi said, "Anywhere it should not happen. Human safety is the priority and I do feel (for) those who have lost their lives."
A senior company executive was burnt alive and 100 others were injured, following which the company has declared a lockout at the plant.
Speaking to reporters, he said, "It should not happen anywhere in the world, not only in India, or in Haryana or in Gujarat, it is not an issue where it has happened."
However, he expressed confidence that the Haryana government can deal with the situation. "I am sure that the Haryana government is capable enough to handle the issue and they will handle it," he said.
Maruti Suzuki India (MSI), an arm of Suzuki Motor Corp, employs about 3,000 workers at its Manesar plant which produces some of the company`s best selling models, such as Swift, Dzire, SX4 and A-Star.
The company had earlier this year announced investment of Rs 4,000 crore to set up a new manufacturing facility in Gujarat in addition to its existing facilities at Manesar and Gurgaon in Haryana. There had been widespread speculation that Maruti might shift out of Haryana due to recurring violence but this was dismissed "as fiction" by company chairman RC Bhargava in New Delhi last week.
MSI has been insisting that the investment in Gujarat was just an expansion and not shifting from Haryana.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead