Modi contests polls on communal grounds: Vaghela
Rajkot: Targeting Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, state opposition leader Shankersinh Vaghela on Friday alleged that by raising communal issues during elections , he diverts the minds of Hindus` from developmental concerns.
"During earlier elections, Modi raised the issue of then Pakistan president Parvez Musharraf by calling him Mian Musharraf. While in 2012, he managed to divert Hindus` minds by calling Ahmad Patel as Ahmad Mian Patel and said that Congress was willing to make Ahmad Patel chief minister of Gujarat," Vaghela told reporters.
Vaghela was here to campaign for Gujarat assembly bypolls for Jetpur, Dhoraji and Limbdi constituencies and the Lok Sabha bypoll for Porbandar seat on June 2.
"In Gujarat, election is fought on communal basis where Chief Minister Narendra Modi diverts Hindus` mind and sidelines state`s development achievements," Vaghela said.
He alleged that Modi has no concern for people in scarcity-hit areas and therefore most of projects meant for scarcity-hit areas, remain on paper only.
"The Centre allocated around Rs 864 crore meant to be used for scarcity-hit areas in Saurashtra and Kutch, but the funds remain unused," Vaghela said.
Referring to the Nepali family self-immolation case where five family members committed suicide by setting themselves ablaze in Rajkot Municipal Corporation`s centralzone office last month, Vaghela alleged that the Gujarat government is trying to save political leaders involved in the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?