Modi contests polls on communal grounds: Vaghela
Rajkot: Targeting Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, state opposition leader Shankersinh Vaghela on Friday alleged that by raising communal issues during elections , he diverts the minds of Hindus` from developmental concerns.
"During earlier elections, Modi raised the issue of then Pakistan president Parvez Musharraf by calling him Mian Musharraf. While in 2012, he managed to divert Hindus` minds by calling Ahmad Patel as Ahmad Mian Patel and said that Congress was willing to make Ahmad Patel chief minister of Gujarat," Vaghela told reporters.
Vaghela was here to campaign for Gujarat assembly bypolls for Jetpur, Dhoraji and Limbdi constituencies and the Lok Sabha bypoll for Porbandar seat on June 2.
"In Gujarat, election is fought on communal basis where Chief Minister Narendra Modi diverts Hindus` mind and sidelines state`s development achievements," Vaghela said.
He alleged that Modi has no concern for people in scarcity-hit areas and therefore most of projects meant for scarcity-hit areas, remain on paper only.
"The Centre allocated around Rs 864 crore meant to be used for scarcity-hit areas in Saurashtra and Kutch, but the funds remain unused," Vaghela said.
Referring to the Nepali family self-immolation case where five family members committed suicide by setting themselves ablaze in Rajkot Municipal Corporation`s centralzone office last month, Vaghela alleged that the Gujarat government is trying to save political leaders involved in the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi