Modi fast: Governor seeks details of expenses
Ahmedabad: Gujarat Governor Kamla Beniwal has sought details of expenditure incurred on Narendra Modi`s three-day `Sadbhavna` fast, intensifying the faceoff with the Chief Minister who has demanded her recall.
Beniwal, who has been locked in a row with the state government over the appointment of Lokayukta, dashed off a letter based on a representation received from Mahagujarat Janta Party (MJP) chief Gordhan Zadafia.
Details of the expenses and procedures followed for its sanction were sought from the state government by the Governor, sources in the Governor`s office said today.
Zadafia, a former state minister in the Modi government who parted ways with the BJP and floated his own party MJP, alleged there was misappropriation of public funds by the government to meet the expenditure incurred for the fast.
The Governor wrote a letter through her principal secretary Arvind Joshi to the Additional Chief Secretary (ACS), General Administration Department, on September 22 asking him to respond to the allegation made by Zadafia, the
In the letter, the ACS has also been asked to give details of the process followed while sanctioning the expenditure, they said.
Modi had sat on a fast from September 17-19 at the Gujarat University Convention Centre here for "peace, unity and harmony in the state".
Zadafia himself has embarked on a 51-hour `Samvedana` fast since yesterday at Gandhinagar.
According to Zadafia, he was fasting to press for the demand to hand over probe into allegations of massive corruption by the Modi government to the Lokayukta.
He also demanded probe into the alleged misappropriation of public funds to by the Modi government.
Modi yesterday accused the Congress of conspiring to dislodge his government through Raj Bhavan and demanded the Governor`s recall.
Modi had earlier too demanded the Governor`s recall in the wake of the spat over the appointment of the state Lokayukta. In an unprecedented move, the Governor has appointed retired Justice RA Mehta as Lokayukta of the state, bypassing the state government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in