‘Modi gov had allowed disposal of Bhopal`s toxic waste in Guj’
Ahmedabad: Congress leader Arjun
Modhvadia today charged that the Gujarat government had
allowed to bring toxic waste at Union Carbide`s plant in
Bhopal for disposal at Ankleshwar in the state but could not
do so due to local activists.
In a press statement, Modhvadia said that thanks to
the fight by the activists and local people, the toxic waste
was not brought to Ankleshwar for disposal.
"A local industrial group, which operates several
plants in Ankleshwar, had signed a contract for disposal of
the toxic waste from Bhopal. The state government had given
permission to help that industrial group," Modhvadia alleged.
Moreover, he said that Gujarat government owned
Gujarat Alcalies Ltd (GACL) has inked an MoU with Dow
Chemicals, which has taken over Union Carbide.
According to him, Ankleshwar and other industrial
estates in South Gujarat are heavily polluted but the Modi
government has hardly taken any steps to bring down pollution
level there. The state population control board is not
imposing stringent environmental norms on the industry there,
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents