Modi govt targeting me: Suspended IAS officer
Kutch: In a veiled attack on Chief Minister
Narendra Modi, suspended IAS officer Pradeep Sharma said today
that in Gujarat power lies with only one man and claimed that
he and his brother, an IPS officer, were being "targeted" by
the state government.
"In Gujarat, power lies in hands of one person only.
There is no decentralised power, which is very dangerous,"
Sharma, brother of IPS officer Kuldeep Sharma who
has openly spoken against the chief minister and the state
government over various issues, said without naming Modi.
"In Gujarat, democracy has been brutally murdered,
while the bureaucrats here have become impotent who cannot
raise their voices," he told reporters.
Sharma is presently out on bail after being arrested in as
many as eight cases of corruption against him during his
tenure as Kutch collector. All cases are being probed by state
"I and my brother are being targeted by the state
government," he alleged after coming out of court which
rejected an application by state CID seeking his custody for
interrogation in one of these cases.
The CID`s plea was turned down the sessions judge N T
Acharya saying that the agency cannot seek custody after more
than a year of registering an FIR.
"We will break but never bow down to such diktat," the
suspended IAS officer, who had recently got bail after being
in police custody for over one year, said.
Sharma said that he had done nothing wrong, as being
alleged by the state government.
"What I have done is for development. My 31-year
career has been spotless and all of a sudden there are as many
as eight cases of corruption against me. This clearly shows
the bias against me by the government," he said.
Sharma has been accused of allotting land meant for 2001
earthquake affected at throw away prices to businessmen.
He has also been accused of taking favours from industries
which got set up in Kutch district after the quake in 2001.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in