Modi govt targeting me: Suspended IAS officer
Kutch: In a veiled attack on Chief Minister
Narendra Modi, suspended IAS officer Pradeep Sharma said today
that in Gujarat power lies with only one man and claimed that
he and his brother, an IPS officer, were being "targeted" by
the state government.
"In Gujarat, power lies in hands of one person only.
There is no decentralised power, which is very dangerous,"
Sharma, brother of IPS officer Kuldeep Sharma who
has openly spoken against the chief minister and the state
government over various issues, said without naming Modi.
"In Gujarat, democracy has been brutally murdered,
while the bureaucrats here have become impotent who cannot
raise their voices," he told reporters.
Sharma is presently out on bail after being arrested in as
many as eight cases of corruption against him during his
tenure as Kutch collector. All cases are being probed by state
"I and my brother are being targeted by the state
government," he alleged after coming out of court which
rejected an application by state CID seeking his custody for
interrogation in one of these cases.
The CID`s plea was turned down the sessions judge N T
Acharya saying that the agency cannot seek custody after more
than a year of registering an FIR.
"We will break but never bow down to such diktat," the
suspended IAS officer, who had recently got bail after being
in police custody for over one year, said.
Sharma said that he had done nothing wrong, as being
alleged by the state government.
"What I have done is for development. My 31-year
career has been spotless and all of a sudden there are as many
as eight cases of corruption against me. This clearly shows
the bias against me by the government," he said.
Sharma has been accused of allotting land meant for 2001
earthquake affected at throw away prices to businessmen.
He has also been accused of taking favours from industries
which got set up in Kutch district after the quake in 2001.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended