Modi govt`s attitude will not be a challenge: Mehta
Ahmedabad: After the Supreme Court upheld the appointment of Lokayukta in Gujarat, Justice (retd) RA Mehta on Wednesday said the Modi government`s attitude will not come in the way of his work.
"I don`t think Modi government`s attitude will be a challenge for Lokayukta," Mehta said in reply to a query by mediapersons.
The Supreme Court today upheld the appointment of the Lokayukta in Gujarat, dismissing state government`s plea challenging Governor Dr Kamla Beniwal`s decision to appoint Mehta without consulting it.
"This is the victory of Supreme Court...It is not in dispute that we need Lokayukta in Gujarat and even government has accepted it," Mehta said.
"Chief Justice`s recommendations are always non-political. Matter was sub judice, hence I never spoke to media on this issue and I don`t have any comment now too," he said.
"I was indifferent...I was not supporting, nor contesting," he said replying to a query by reporters on why he never filed his reply either in HC or in SC.
To a question on how he would take charge, Mehta said, "I don`t have to say anything. May be the government will notify in Gazette, I have no idea."
The Gujarat Governor had appointed Justice (retd) R A Mehta as Lokayukta of the state in August 2011, by-passing the Narendra Modi-led BJP government which had kept the post vacant for the last seven years. PTI PD ADT VKB GKModi govt`s attitude will not be a challenge: Mehta
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report