Modi holds day-long fast for harmony, peace
Dwarka: Launching the second round of
his Sadhbhavna Mission, Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi
on Sunday observed a day-long fast here saying that it would help
create communal harmony and brotherhood in the state.
Modi said another reason for him observing the fast was
to "expose" those trying to defame Gujarat. Hundreds of people
from the various places came to see Modi and wished him well.
To counter the Chief Minister, Congress MP from Jamnagar
Vikram Madam, along with couple of local party MLAs, held a
parallel one-day fast about three kilometres from the venue of
"The Sadbhavna Mission will help create an atmosphere of
communal harmony and brotherhood among people of Gujarat,"
Modi said in the concluding session of the event.
He said he would break his fast tomorrow morning, but
urged people, who had observed the fast with him to break it
before going home.
Modi said his government had been busy with Sadbhavna
Mission since the last 10 years by organising various
campaigns to bring changes in the field of agriculture,
education and health.
"I don`t want to gain anything by staging the fast but I
want to expose efforts of those who do not miss any
opportunity to defame Gujarat," he said earlier in the day.
"I want to send a message that while detractors of
Gujarat are trying to defame it, the state believes in
brotherhood," he added.
Modi alleged that the opposition ignored Gujarat`s
humanitarian approach, while claiming that it was the first
state in India to extend help to earthquake hit Srinagar and
Gujarat has achieved a great deal of progress and even
its detractors have to accept it, he added.
Modi had arrived at Dwarka this morning and offered
prayers at Dwarkadheesh temple. He also inaugurated an
exhibition set up by the state information department.
His next fast would be in Navsari district on November 20.
In all, Modi would be observing fast for 33 days,
including the three-day fast he had held from September 17 in
Ahmedabad to begin his Sadhbhavna mission.
State Finance Minister Vajubhai Vala, BJP state unit
spokesperson Vijay Rupani and MPs and MLAs of Saurashtra and
Kutch were among those present here today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- WATCH: How AAP MLA Dinesh Mohaniya was arrested by Delhi Police amidst high drama during press conference
- BJP president Amit Shah sounds poll bugle in Uttarakhand; slams Congress, Harish Rawat
- IIFA 2016: Why should Oscars become benchmark to celebrate Indian cinema, asks Anupam Kher
- US floods: 24 dead in West Virginia; search and rescue continues
- Pampore terror attack: PM Narendra Modi pained by demise of CRPF jawans, salutes their courage