Modi joins netizens to protest curbs on Twitter
Ahmedabad: Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on Friday joined a protest against the Centre`s move to block certain `hate` pages and Twitter accounts by turning on his display picture to `black`, while terming the action as a "crackdown on freedom of speech".
"As a common man, I join the protest against crackdown on freedom of speech! Changed my DP. `Sabko Samnati De Bhagwan` (May God give wisdom to all)," he posted on #GOIBlocks.
Twitter account holders in the country have started a movement against the Centre`s reported move to block 300 web pages, including some Twitter handles, in the wake of Assam violence.
As a mark of their protest many netizens have joined `#GOIBlocks` which is trending (bulletin board where everybody can express their opinion on the subject) on Twitter.
Instead of Modi`s image, the picture display section on his Twitter account today showed a blank space, along with the message denouncing the Centre`s move to "muzzle" social media.
As per rough estimates, there are around 40 million Facebook and 16 million Twitter users in India.
The Union government has decided to block 300 web pages saying they posed a threat to national security.
According to reports, certain Twitter accounts being blocked by the Centre belonged to some RSS affiliates and leaders.
What prompted the Centre to step in is the `provocative` mobile phone text messages being in circulation and doctored website images about Assam and Myanmar violence going viral, resulting in exodus of northeast people from some states fearing attacks on them by Muslims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'