Modi justifies gutkha ban in Gujarat
Vadodara: Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi Tuesday said the state has set an example by implementing the Prohibition Policy and banning gutkha.
"I have to save the youths of Gujarat from the dreaded evil of Cancer and that`s why a decision to impose a complete ban on gutkha was taken," he said in a message on the occasion of 143rd birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
Referring to a sumptuary law in force that proscribes the sale, purchase and consumption of alcoholic drinks in Gujarat since 1960, Modi said, "Gujarat has set a shining example by following the ideals of Mahatma Gandhi by totally implementing the prohibition policy for which state is famous all over the country".
The ban on sale, stocking, production and distribution of gutkha came into force on September 11.
"Banning gutkha is a well-thought decision aimed at creating healthier Gujarat and preventing the youth from falling into such inappropriate practices," Modi said.
Modi has been embarked on the `Swami Vivekananda Yatra` from September 17 for spreading awareness about his ideals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you