Modi justifies gutkha ban in Gujarat
Vadodara: Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi Tuesday said the state has set an example by implementing the Prohibition Policy and banning gutkha.
"I have to save the youths of Gujarat from the dreaded evil of Cancer and that`s why a decision to impose a complete ban on gutkha was taken," he said in a message on the occasion of 143rd birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
Referring to a sumptuary law in force that proscribes the sale, purchase and consumption of alcoholic drinks in Gujarat since 1960, Modi said, "Gujarat has set a shining example by following the ideals of Mahatma Gandhi by totally implementing the prohibition policy for which state is famous all over the country".
The ban on sale, stocking, production and distribution of gutkha came into force on September 11.
"Banning gutkha is a well-thought decision aimed at creating healthier Gujarat and preventing the youth from falling into such inappropriate practices," Modi said.
Modi has been embarked on the `Swami Vivekananda Yatra` from September 17 for spreading awareness about his ideals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation