Modi justifies gutkha ban in Gujarat
Vadodara: Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi Tuesday said the state has set an example by implementing the Prohibition Policy and banning gutkha.
"I have to save the youths of Gujarat from the dreaded evil of Cancer and that`s why a decision to impose a complete ban on gutkha was taken," he said in a message on the occasion of 143rd birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
Referring to a sumptuary law in force that proscribes the sale, purchase and consumption of alcoholic drinks in Gujarat since 1960, Modi said, "Gujarat has set a shining example by following the ideals of Mahatma Gandhi by totally implementing the prohibition policy for which state is famous all over the country".
The ban on sale, stocking, production and distribution of gutkha came into force on September 11.
"Banning gutkha is a well-thought decision aimed at creating healthier Gujarat and preventing the youth from falling into such inappropriate practices," Modi said.
Modi has been embarked on the `Swami Vivekananda Yatra` from September 17 for spreading awareness about his ideals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM