Modi justifies gutkha ban in Gujarat
Vadodara: Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi Tuesday said the state has set an example by implementing the Prohibition Policy and banning gutkha.
"I have to save the youths of Gujarat from the dreaded evil of Cancer and that`s why a decision to impose a complete ban on gutkha was taken," he said in a message on the occasion of 143rd birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
Referring to a sumptuary law in force that proscribes the sale, purchase and consumption of alcoholic drinks in Gujarat since 1960, Modi said, "Gujarat has set a shining example by following the ideals of Mahatma Gandhi by totally implementing the prohibition policy for which state is famous all over the country".
The ban on sale, stocking, production and distribution of gutkha came into force on September 11.
"Banning gutkha is a well-thought decision aimed at creating healthier Gujarat and preventing the youth from falling into such inappropriate practices," Modi said.
Modi has been embarked on the `Swami Vivekananda Yatra` from September 17 for spreading awareness about his ideals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Kareena Kapoor Khan not in ‘Veerey Di Wedding’? Sonam Kapoor will tell you the truth
- Magnitude 6.4 quake hits Italy near Perugia – USGS
- Turning the tide on hair loss
- Rajnath Singh in Kashmir, says those who believe in 'Kashmiriyat' are welcome for talks
- Biopic should be made on PT Usha, says Sonam Kapoor