Modi, Milkha Singh flag off night marathon in Surat
Ahmedabad: BJP`s Prime Ministerial candidate Narendra Modi and the legendary athlete Milkha Singh on Sunday flagged off `Night Marathon` in Surat city on Sunday evening.
"Surat gets the credit for pioneering the concept of night marathon in Gujarat," Modi said.
"The event has been organised to raise funds to install CCTV network in the city and to help cancer patients.... Your joining this marathon contributes to the social welfare," Modi said to the participants.
He said such events were needed for cultivating sense of togetherness in the modern society.
State minister Nanu Vanani, Surat`s Mayor Niranjan Zanzmera, police commissioner Rakesh Asthana and BJP MP from Navsari C R Patil were present on the occasion.
About 35,000 people participated in various categories in the Marathon.
- Assembly polls 2016: Arch political rivals PM Narendra Modi, Sonia Gandhi soon to hit Kerala
- Several radical mosques under surveillance: German intelligence head
- NEET exemption row: Supreme Court to hear fresh plea regarding MBBS, BDS entrance test today
- Prisoners revolt in Syria's Hama jail, seize guards - Syrian Observatory
- Spain misses deadline for new government, June election set