Modi, Milkha Singh flag off night marathon in Surat
Ahmedabad: BJP`s Prime Ministerial candidate Narendra Modi and the legendary athlete Milkha Singh on Sunday flagged off `Night Marathon` in Surat city on Sunday evening.
"Surat gets the credit for pioneering the concept of night marathon in Gujarat," Modi said.
"The event has been organised to raise funds to install CCTV network in the city and to help cancer patients.... Your joining this marathon contributes to the social welfare," Modi said to the participants.
He said such events were needed for cultivating sense of togetherness in the modern society.
State minister Nanu Vanani, Surat`s Mayor Niranjan Zanzmera, police commissioner Rakesh Asthana and BJP MP from Navsari C R Patil were present on the occasion.
About 35,000 people participated in various categories in the Marathon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves