Modi nets prize catch as Narhari Amin joins BJP
Ahmedabad: In a prize catch for BJP, Narhari Amin, a former Gujarat deputy chief minister, who recently quit the Congress after being denied ticket to contest the Assembly elections, on Thursday joined the state`s ruling party.
Amin`s entry into the BJP is expected to boost its prospects in the Saurashtra region where renegade saffron party leader and former Chief Minister Keshubhai Patel`s newly launched Gujarat Parivartan Party (GPP) is putting a stiff challenge to Narendra Modi.
Like Keshubhai, Amin belongs to the politically influential Patel community, and has a sizeable following among them.
Reflecting the significance of Amin`s arrival into the BJP fold, Chief Minister Modi, seeking a third consecutive term in office, welcomed him into the party, describing it as a move that would strengthen democracy.
"He is a leader who has remained among people to serve them since his youth. Coming of Amin to the party will strengthen democracy," Modi said.
Amin, who had been sulking ever since he was denied Congress nomination on the ground that he had lost two successive Assembly elections, said, "I am sure that BJP will win this election and Modi will secure a hat-trick in the state. I will work for the BJP now."
He had quit Congress on Tuesday along with six prominent leaders including spokespersons of Gujarat Congress Jayanti Parmar and Hitesh Patel, state party general secretary Ashish Amin, farmers cell chairman Dashrath Patel, teachers cell chairman Digvijaysinh Gohil, Ahmedabad Congress vice-president R C Patel.
Another 175 of his supporters also joined BJP today with him.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!