Modi’s fast a political gimmick: Vastanvi
New Delhi: After facing flak for reportedly praising Narendra Modi, sacked V-C of Darul Uloom Deoband, Maulana Ghulam Mohammed Vastanvi on Sunday termed the Gujarat Chief Minister`s three-day fast as a "political gimmick".
"This three-day fast of Narendra Modi is a pretence. It is a political gimmick for the upcoming Legislative Assembly polls and not a Sadbhavana Mission, as named by him," Vastanvi said.
He said he was not invited for the fast in Ahmedabad that started on Modi`s birthday yesterday and would "never take part in any event involving him (Modi)".
Vastanvi, who hails from Gujarat, was elected as V-C in January. He was sacked following a controversy over his remarks praising Modi`s development work in the state.
He had also said that Muslims in Gujarat should "forget the 2002 riots and move on".
Vastanvi, however, denied giving a "clean chit" to Modi in connection with the riots and said he had not praised him "but his comments were projected in a wrong way".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH