Modi’s fast a political gimmick: Vastanvi
New Delhi: After facing flak for reportedly praising Narendra Modi, sacked V-C of Darul Uloom Deoband, Maulana Ghulam Mohammed Vastanvi on Sunday termed the Gujarat Chief Minister`s three-day fast as a "political gimmick".
"This three-day fast of Narendra Modi is a pretence. It is a political gimmick for the upcoming Legislative Assembly polls and not a Sadbhavana Mission, as named by him," Vastanvi said.
He said he was not invited for the fast in Ahmedabad that started on Modi`s birthday yesterday and would "never take part in any event involving him (Modi)".
Vastanvi, who hails from Gujarat, was elected as V-C in January. He was sacked following a controversy over his remarks praising Modi`s development work in the state.
He had also said that Muslims in Gujarat should "forget the 2002 riots and move on".
Vastanvi, however, denied giving a "clean chit" to Modi in connection with the riots and said he had not praised him "but his comments were projected in a wrong way".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- REVEALED: Why Kumar Sangakkara left Sachin Tendulkar out of his All Time XI
- Elvis Presley's guitarist Scotty Moore dies at 84
- US backed Syrian rebel forces seize military airport near IS stronghold
- China: Man rapes housemate, dumps victim in suitcase
- Good news for home buyers! Builders may have to pay 11% interest for delay in housing projects