MoEF seeks details of Platinum-II from Guj authoroties
Ahmedabad: The Union Ministry of
Environment & Forests (MoEF) has sought information from the
Gujarat Pollution Control Board (GPCB) and Gujarat Maritime
Board (GMB) on a ship that has come for dismantling at Alang
which is alleged of carrying hazardous toxic substance.
"We have sought information from the GPCB and GMB with
regard to a ship docked in Alang following an email by the
Indian Platform on Shipbreaking," Director, Focal Point
Basel Convention, Hazardous Substances Management Division
(MoEF), Dr Saroj said.
Convener of Indian Platform on Shipbreaking (IPOS), Gopal
Krishna, in a letter dated October 10 had written to the MoEF
that a ship from the US Platinum II (formerly SS Independence)
which had anchored at Alang Shipbreaking yard in Bhavnagar
district, was carrying hazardous toxic waste including
"This 682 foot ocean liner is loaded with an estimated
210 tons of toxic polychlorinated biphenyl (PCB) contaminated
material and an estimated 250 tons of asbestos as part of its
construction," Krishna wrote in the letter and demanded that
the ship should be sent back to the US.
Environment officer of GMB Atul Sharma said that the
ship, brought in by Kampas Shiping Agency, Alang, is being
inspected for hazardous substance and inspection will go on
for the next 10 to 15 days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in