MoEF team visits Nirma cement plant in Gujarat
Bhavnagar (Gujarat): A team of experts from
Environment and Forests Ministry today visited Nirma cement
plant here to look into the issues of villagers, opposing the
project on the ground that it will destroy their agriculture
and cause irreparable damage to environment.
The team -- comprising Bombay Natural History Society
(BNHS) director Arshard Rehmani and seven others -- visited
the plant at Mahuva taluka and nearby Samadhiala and Dholiya
villages following a Supreme Court order, officials said.
Local farmers led by Mahuva MLA Kanu Kalsariya (BJP) are
opposing the passage of the cement plant -- having a capacity
of 1.91 million tonne per annum -- alleging that it is being
built on a natural water body and the project, if completed,
will destroy their agriculture and animal husbandry, besides
causing irreparable damage to environment.
The apex court while hearing a petition by Mahuva farmers
demanding shifting of the plant from its present location had
directed MoEF in March to send a team of experts to the site
and assess the ground situation on parameters prescribed by
According to district authorities, the team is likely to
visit more villages in vicinity of the plant and assess the
grievances of villagers.
- Hot alert! Shruti Hassan looks incredibly sexy on the cover of GQ magazine – See pic
- Awwdorable! Salman Khan shares picture of mother Salma and baby Ahil
- Look what Ranveer Singh is doing for ‘Befikre’
- Premier League: Leicester City clinch historic title after Eden Hazard`s stunning late goal vs Tottenham Hotspur
- EPL: Jamie Vardy, Riyad Mahrez and other key players who played major roles in Leicester City`s title success