More delay likely as Gujarat government redraws metro route
Ahmedabad: Gujarat government has redrawn the metro rail route, which is likely to cause further delay in implementating the public transport project.
The metro rail project for Ahmedabad and Gandhinagar did not take off due to some reason or the other after the project was announced some five years ago.
"In a meeting to review the metro rail project held recently, we have redrawn the route. Now, the metro rail will connect South to North and West to Eastern parts of the city," Gujarat Finance Minister Nitin Patel, who is also the chairman of the high-powered committee for the implmentation of the metro rail project, said.
Earlier, as per the detailed project report sent to the Centre for its approval, the metro rail was to connect Ahmedabad to Gandhinagar and the city airport.
"The decision to change the route has been taken keeping in mind surveys conducted by experts and consultants appointed by Metro-Link Express for Gandhinagar and Ahmedabad (MEGA) like household survey and traffic analysis," Patel said.
MEGA is a special purpose vehicle company floated to implement the project. He said the detailed project report (DPR) of the earlier project was sent to union government but now a new DPR will be prepared and sent to the Centre.
He said the first phase of project connnecting all four sides of the city would be completed by 2018 at a cost of Rs 10,000 crore.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference