Municipal Commissioner held in 2001 earthquake rehab scam case
Bhavnagar/Ahmedabad: A top official of the
Bhavnagar Municipal Corporation was arrested today in
connection with a scam related to the 2001 earthquake in Kutch
district, police said.
Bhavnagar Municipal Commissioner Pradeep Sharma was
arrested by the Gujarat CID from his residence, for his
alleged involvement in the earthquake rehabilitation scam
during his tenure between May 2003-June 2006 in the district,
The IAS officer was posted as the District Collector
of Kutch after the earthquake.
"We have arrested Sharma in connection with a case
registered against him in Bhuj," CID Crime chief VV Rabari
Two or three more persons in Bhuj have also been
arrested in this regard and further investigation are on in
the case, he said.
CID crime was asked to investigate the case following
an order from Bhuj court, he added.
Police sources said that Sharma was accused of
irregularities in the rehabilitation programme.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family