Muslims leaders burn journalist M J Akbar`s effigy
Ahmedabad: A group of local Muslim leaders and Congress workers on Sunday staged a demonstration against senior journalist M J Akbar who joined BJP yesterday.
The protesters gathered at Lal Darwaja here this afternoon and burned Akbar`s effigy. They also shouted slogans against Akbar, who had once served as a Congress spokesperson in 1989 and had been elected as an MP from Bihar.
"After joining BJP, Akbar went on saying that whole Muslim community is now with Narendra Modi. This is totally wrong. We have gathered today to oppose this statement," said Congress MLA from Dariyapur, Gyasuddin Shaikh.
Shaikh was accompanied by several local Muslim leaders, including leader of opposition in Ahmedabad municipal corporation Badruddin Shaikh, Gomtipur councillor Iqbal Shaikh, former councillor Imran Khedawala, city Congress general secretary Nasruddin Chisti and secretary Junaid Shaikh.
"Akbar and few other Muslims in BJP do not represent the entire Muslim community. Apart from Shahnawaz Hussian, BJP has`t given ticket to any other Muslim. Thus, we strongly condemn Akbar`s malicious act of dragging entire Muslim community for his own benefit," said Shaikh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan