Narendra Modi accuses Centre of ignoring pilgrimage places
Ambaji: Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday Indian government had ignored development of pilgrimage places in the country as tourism destinations for the sake of "distorted" secularism.
Speaking at a `Pranpratishthan Mahotsav` at the pilgrimage town of Ambaji in Gujarat`s Banaskantha district, he said that the development of religious places could have strengthened the Indian economy, but Indian government has had adopted a callous approach toward them.
"The pilgrimage - yatras - to religious places are very important for 125 crore Indians and thus, developing them as tourist spots could strengthen the Indian economy, but the rulers of this country have distorted the secularism policy of the country and ignored development of the Indian religious places as the tourist spots," Modi said.
The Chief Minister alleged that ignoring the points of faith of 1.25 billion Indians has turned out to be a lost opportunity for the employment generation through tourism.
"The development of Mecca and Medina as the religious places has strengthened the economy of that country, but we have ignored the values of our cultural heritages," the BJP`s prime ministerial candidate said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case