Narendra Modi, Advani, Rajnath Singh seen together at public meet
Rajkot: Senior BJP leader LK Advani and Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi were seen together for the first time, after the former`s resignation from all party posts, at a condolence meeting of former union minister Bhavna Chikhaliya in Junagadh.
While party president Rajnath Singh and Advani arrived at the Keshod airport in a special air craft and went by road to Junagadh, Modi reached there in a helicopter.
Advani had resigned from all party posts after Modi was elevated to the post of BJP`s Campaign Committee Chief in Goa recently, though he withdrew his resignation later.
This is for the first time the three BJP leaders were seen together at a public function.
The trio paid rich tributes to the departed soul. Chikhaliya died in Ahmedabad on June 28, after suffering a severe heart attack.
Chikhaliya was elected as an MP from Junagadh four times and a minister of state in A B Vajpayee government.
Until recently, she was chairperson of the Gujarat Housing Finance Board.
While paying tributes to her, Rajnath Singh considered her a hardworking leader and said that "Her performance in Parliament was excellent and it is unfortunate that we have lost her".
"Narendrabhai informed me over the phone about her sad demise and it`s a huge loss for the BJP," Advani said.
Modi too recalled Chikhaliya`s sacrifice in politics and said, "When I asked her to contest corporation elections in Junagadh, she did not hesitate to do so and she became a corporator".
"It was not easy to ask a four-time MP and former union minister to contest a municipal corporation election. But when I requested her, she got ready and contested the election," Modi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured