Narendra Modi announces Rs 300-cr public toilets scheme for urban poor
Gandhinagar: Taking the campaign for forthcoming Gujarat Assembly polls to the next level, Chief Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday announced a special public toilets scheme for the urban poor besides rolling out other sops.
Under the Rs 300-crore public toilets scheme, the lavatories will be built for the poor in every municipal corporation areas of the state to "promote ideals of cleanliness practised by Mahatma Gandhi".
Modi also announced establishment of Gujarat Skill Development Corporation (GSDC) "to bring skills to the youth of the state with new and scientific approach".
He also announced creation of nine new talukas in the state.
"For past long time many areas of the state were facing administrative difficulties. To ease that out, I have, during my recent Vivekananda Yatra, announced the creation of many new talukas and districts," Modi said addressing Vivekananda Youth Convention at Mahatma Mandir here.
The new talukas spanning various districts will be Junagadh City taluka and Gir-Gadhada in Junagadh district, Vapi in Valsad, Jotana and Gzaria in Mehsana, Netrang in Bharuch, Bodeli in Chhota Udaipur, Khergaam in Navsari and Thangadh taluka in Surendranagar district.
"A committee headed by Chief Secretary is working out the modalities to make all these new talukas and districts functional from Januaray 26, 2013," the chief minister said.
Terming Junagadh as the tourism capital of the state, along with Kutch, Modi has brought under focus the famous Lord Shiva temple at Girnath-Bhavnath in Junagadh where thousands of devotees pay visit every year.
Modi announced formation of an independent urban development authority for Girnath-Bhavnath for its proper development.
"If we have to make our country a super power we have to harness the skill and zeal of the youth on larger scale and high speed. Skill will also give every youth the employability," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan