Narendra Modi announces Rs 300-cr public toilets scheme for urban poor
Gandhinagar: Taking the campaign for forthcoming Gujarat Assembly polls to the next level, Chief Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday announced a special public toilets scheme for the urban poor besides rolling out other sops.
Under the Rs 300-crore public toilets scheme, the lavatories will be built for the poor in every municipal corporation areas of the state to "promote ideals of cleanliness practised by Mahatma Gandhi".
Modi also announced establishment of Gujarat Skill Development Corporation (GSDC) "to bring skills to the youth of the state with new and scientific approach".
He also announced creation of nine new talukas in the state.
"For past long time many areas of the state were facing administrative difficulties. To ease that out, I have, during my recent Vivekananda Yatra, announced the creation of many new talukas and districts," Modi said addressing Vivekananda Youth Convention at Mahatma Mandir here.
The new talukas spanning various districts will be Junagadh City taluka and Gir-Gadhada in Junagadh district, Vapi in Valsad, Jotana and Gzaria in Mehsana, Netrang in Bharuch, Bodeli in Chhota Udaipur, Khergaam in Navsari and Thangadh taluka in Surendranagar district.
"A committee headed by Chief Secretary is working out the modalities to make all these new talukas and districts functional from Januaray 26, 2013," the chief minister said.
Terming Junagadh as the tourism capital of the state, along with Kutch, Modi has brought under focus the famous Lord Shiva temple at Girnath-Bhavnath in Junagadh where thousands of devotees pay visit every year.
Modi announced formation of an independent urban development authority for Girnath-Bhavnath for its proper development.
"If we have to make our country a super power we have to harness the skill and zeal of the youth on larger scale and high speed. Skill will also give every youth the employability," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India