Narendra Modi announces yatra ahead of Guj polls
Ahmedabad: Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi has decided to embark on a month-long yatra from September 11 in poll-bound Gujarat, which will cover major parts of the state.
Interestingly, the name of Modi`s yatra is Vivekananda Yuva Vikas Yatra, which will begin on the day when spiritual leader Swami Vivekanada made his historic speech at the Chicago Conference of World Religions, 150 years ago.
"The yatra will start from Becharaji temple town of North Gujarat in the presence of former BJP president Rajnath Singh and Rajya Sabha opposition leader Arun Jaitley," BJP spokesperson Vijay Rupani said.
Becharji has been chosen as a starting point as Maruti will construct its new car plant near the temple town and the yatra will also talk about development of the state, he said.
This is the first major election campaigning exercise being carried out by Modi ahead of elections to be held by the end of this year, after the state`s Congress opposition organised four major yatras.
"As this is the 150th anniversary of Swami Vivekananda speech at the Conference of World Religions, 150 small yatras will also be taken out along with the main yatra to cover all taluka centres and villages possible," he said.
Earlier, Gujarat Parivartan Party (GPP) president Keshubhai Patel had criticised Modi for using Swami Vivekananda`s name for political gains.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog