Narendra Modi assures Badal on welfare and rights of Sikhs in Gujarat
Ahmedabad: Dismissing claims that Sikhs settled in Gujarat had been deprived of their land rights, Chief Minister Narendra Modi has assured his Punjab counterpart Prakash Singh Badal about their welfare.
"Chief Minister Narendra Modi talked to Punjab Chief Minister Prakash Singh Badal and assured him that there is no question of Sikhs being pressurised to move back to Punjab," a statement issued by the Gujarat CM`s office said here on Monday.
"All reports suggesting that the Gujarat government has adopted discriminatory and unjust policies towards Sikhs settled in the Kutch region, are politically motivated and total lies being spread by vested interests," it said.
Trying to dispel the impression that Sikh farmers were being displaced from the state, Modi said that, "The misunderstanding has been created because of an ordinance, issued 50 years ago by then Congress government and by the interpretation of a circular issued in 1973".
It was reported that certain group of Sikhs settled in Kutch raised the issue of being deprieved of land ownerships though they had settled there since more than 50 years ago.
They had also reportedly made representation to Punjab Chief Minister Prakash Singh Badal in this regard, after which the Punjab government contemplated sending a delegation to Gujarat to discuss the issue.
Many Sikh farmers settled in Kutch region had also approached the Gujarat High Court against the Gujarat state government`s decision to "freeze" land holdings of hundreds of farmers by invoking the Bombay Tenancy and Agricultural Lands Act, 1958, which they claimed disabled them from selling, buying or availing of any loan or subsidy for their lands.
In June last year, the Gujarat High Court gave a judgment favouring these farmers and held the Gujarat government`s order "illegal", against which the Gujarat government moved the Supreme Court and a Special Leave Petition is pending.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know