Narendra Modi begins ‘Sadbhavna’ fast in Godhra
Godhra (Gujarat): Gujarat Chief Minister
Narendra Modi on Friday began a day-long fast here as part of his
`Sadhbhavana Mission, a move which comes nearly a month ahead
of the tenth anniversary of the Godhra carnage.
Before the fast meant to promote peace, harmony and
brotherhood could begin, social activist Shabnam Hashmi and
five others of NGO Anhad were detained for organising a
convention `In search of Justice`.
Modi arrived at the fast venue at the State Reserve
Police (SRP) ground here at 11 AM where he was greeted by his
cabinet colleagues and local MPs and MLAs, besides BJP
leaders and priests from various religions.
A huge crowd had gathered at the venue from all sections
Godhra, the epicenter of communal turbulence in 2002,
has transformed virtually into a police base camp ahead of the
fast. Over 1,600 policemen have been deployed along with 50
specially trained Chetak commandos and other unarmed jawans
across the town.
Police said six activists were detained as they wanted to
hold a public function despite permission being denied to
The fast is being held nearly a month before the tenth
anniversary of Godhra carnage. 59 persons, mostly karsevaks,
were killed when the S-6 coach of the Sabarmati Express train
was burnt near Godhra Railway station on February 27, 2002
triggering worst-ever riots in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks