Narendra Modi flags off ‘Run for Unity’, hails Sardar Patel
Zee Media Bureau
Vadodara: Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the "Run For Unity" marathon here on Sunday.
While flagging off the marathon, Modi said, “This is a run for unity, to unite people.”
“This is an effort to fulfil the dreams and aspirations of Indians. Do not link this effort towards unity with politics,” he said further.
Hailing Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, Modi said it was him who had save the country from getting disintegrated.
“Gujarat has been able to march forward only because of unity,” he stated.
As per officials, more than 1.85 lakh people were expected to participate in the marathon, which will be a record.
Youth and others responded positively to the appeal made by Modi to pay tribute Sardar Patel on his 63rd death anniversary today.
Modi`s effort to start a movement to collect iron for the Statue of Unity will be launched along with the event and it is scheduled to be completed before January 26, 2014, which is Republic Day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Is marriage on the cards for Nargis Fakhri? READ full story
- Sensex regains 28K level, up 118 points in early trade
- Sepp Blatter in last fight against six-year FIFA ban
- Quake brings down buildings in central Italy, at least six believed killed
- Work on 'Padmavati' sets in full swing, shoot begins in September