Narendra Modi flags off ‘Run for Unity’, hails Sardar Patel
Zee Media Bureau
Vadodara: Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the "Run For Unity" marathon here on Sunday.
While flagging off the marathon, Modi said, “This is a run for unity, to unite people.”
“This is an effort to fulfil the dreams and aspirations of Indians. Do not link this effort towards unity with politics,” he said further.
Hailing Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, Modi said it was him who had save the country from getting disintegrated.
“Gujarat has been able to march forward only because of unity,” he stated.
As per officials, more than 1.85 lakh people were expected to participate in the marathon, which will be a record.
Youth and others responded positively to the appeal made by Modi to pay tribute Sardar Patel on his 63rd death anniversary today.
Modi`s effort to start a movement to collect iron for the Statue of Unity will be launched along with the event and it is scheduled to be completed before January 26, 2014, which is Republic Day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened