Narendra Modi flags off ‘Run for Unity’, hails Sardar Patel
Zee Media Bureau
Vadodara: Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the "Run For Unity" marathon here on Sunday.
While flagging off the marathon, Modi said, “This is a run for unity, to unite people.”
“This is an effort to fulfil the dreams and aspirations of Indians. Do not link this effort towards unity with politics,” he said further.
Hailing Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, Modi said it was him who had save the country from getting disintegrated.
“Gujarat has been able to march forward only because of unity,” he stated.
As per officials, more than 1.85 lakh people were expected to participate in the marathon, which will be a record.
Youth and others responded positively to the appeal made by Modi to pay tribute Sardar Patel on his 63rd death anniversary today.
Modi`s effort to start a movement to collect iron for the Statue of Unity will be launched along with the event and it is scheduled to be completed before January 26, 2014, which is Republic Day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand