Narendra Modi going slow on Asaram case: Gujarat Congress
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat Congress on Friday accused the BJP government of going slow on self-styled godman Asaram`s alleged wrongdoings in the state and demanded a high court-monitored inquiry by a special investigation team.
"Gujarat government led by its Chief Minister Narendra Modi saved Asaram despite repeated allegations of land encroachment, sexual exploitation and even corrupt practices," Gujarat Pradesh Congress Committee chief Arjun Modhvadia alleged.
He said that whenever allegations against Asaram came to the fore, the Gujarat government failed to take any action.
"If they had taken action earlier, then he would not have had the guts to commit further crimes," he said.
Modhvadia released a compact disc containing Asaram`s lectures in which he had praised Narendra Modi.
"There should be a high court monitored inquiry by a special investigation team against Asaram and Modi to find out the nexus between the two," Modhvadia said.
Listing events like deaths of two cousins Dipesh Vaghela and Abishek Vaghela, as well as a land grab case in Surat which surfaced before Asaram was arrested in the sexual assault case in Jodhpur, Modhvadia said that the Gujarat government did not take any action in these cases.
Recently, the Surat police registered two complaints -- one against Asaram and another against his son Narayan Sai -- for rape, sexual assault, illegal confinement and other charges.
In her complaint, the elder of the two sisters had accused Asaram of repeated sexual assaults between 1997 and 2006 during the time she lived in his ashram on the outskirts of Ahmedabad city.
The younger sister filed a complaint against Asaram`s son Narayan Sai, accusing him of repeated sexual assaults between 2002 and 2005 when she lived in the Surat ashram.
Asaram (72) who was arrested in August and lodged in Jodhpur jail on charges of sexually assaulting a minor girl, was brought here on Monday and is being interrogated in connection with the alleged incident. The whereabouts of Narayan Sai are not known.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore