Narendra Modi govt faces criticism over newly-introduced Bills
Ahmedabad: NGOs and human rights groups have criticised Gujarat BJP government over newly-introduced Bills, especially the one related to Lokayukta.
Four organisations have collectively voiced opposition against some recently introduced Bills in the Assembly and said the proposed laws show the Narendra Modi government as "autocratic" and "anti-people".
The four - Lok Andolan Gujarat, Gujarat Lok Samiti, People`s Union for Civil Liberties (PUCL) and All India Save Education Committee - singled out Lokayukta Aayog Bill, Gujarat Universities Law (Amendments) Bill and the Irrigation and Drainage Act for criticism.
"Instead of implementing the existing Gujarat Lokayukta Act, the State Government has introduced Lokayukta Aayog Bill which aims to curtail Governor`s powers (in appointment of anti-corruption ombudsman)," PUCL working president Prakash Shah told reporters here.
"The Lokayukta Aayog Bill is a gimmick and bestows arbitrary powers with the State Government," Shah added.
The Gujarat Universities Laws (Amendments) Bill infringes on autonomy of the universities and allows the State Government to appoint vice-chancellors in all varsities, said the activists associated with these groups.
The Gujarat Irrigation and Drainage Act, 2013, which received the Governor`s assent on Wednesday, is an "anti-farmer" law and is draconian in nature," they claimed.
"The State claims the Centre is not allowing it to raise the height of Sardar Sarovar Dam. However, in reality, the state has not built enough canals which can provide Narmada water to Kutch and Saurashtra regions," Shah said.
The groups have organised a demonstration here on April 01 to protest against these Bills.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof