`Narendra Modi granted land to private industrialists`
Ahmedabad: Gujarat state Congress president Arjun Modhwadia has accused Chief Minister Narendra Modi of granting land to private industrialists for his vested interests.
"Land in the state was given to industrialists at meagre prices while it was given at higher rates to the military and governmental organisations," said Modhwadia.
"The Justice (retd) Shah commission has not been able to justify this discrepancy. We have always been saying that this Commission is in place to safeguard the interests of Narendra Modi. That is why we boycotted the Commission," Modhwadia added.
Meanwhile, Election Commission`s director general Akshay Raut mentioned that Parliament is required to endorse and enact certain electoral reforms, including the misuse of paid news as part of campaign by the contesting parties and leaders.
He said there already exists certain relevant provisions, which need to be ratified by the Indian Parliament.
"We have mentioned to the government and Parliament that paid news should be taken as an electoral offence, it should be translated into two years of imprisonment. That the (Election) Commission cannot do today because these all exist today as part of the law today," he said.
He said that the matter is now pending there with the government and Parliament as an electoral reform proposal. February 2011, The Commission has clearly written and sent this proposal and the Commission is hopeful electoral reforms will happen sooner or later, he added.
The first phase of the Gujarat Assembly polls will be held on December 13, while the second will take place on December 17.
Counting of votes will take place on December 20.
More than 35,000 personnel from paramilitary forces and around 55,000 from state police are likely to be deployed for the Gujarat polls.
Gujarat has 182 Assembly constituencies, 13 of which are reserved for SCs and 26 for STs with 3.78 crore voters who would be eligible to exercise their franchise in the state.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- VVIP chopper scam: Ex-IAF chief SP Tyagi had admitted to meeting middleman Haschke
- F-16 fighter jets sold to Pakistan could be used against India: US lawmakers
- Fee hike: Schools will not budge with dharnas, submit a written complaint, Manish Sisodia tells parents
- Know what Shah Rukh Khan feels about PM Narendra Modi’s ‘Make In India’ initiative
- Know how Karan Johar entertains ‘India's Got Talent’ co-judge Malaika Arora Khan