Narendra Modi hits back at Patel; says dynasty produces `sultans`
Ahmedabad: A day after senior Congress leader Ahmed Patel dubbed him as "sultan", Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday hit back saying it is "dynasty that produces sultans".
Patel, political secretary to Congress president Sonia Gandhi, had, while addressing a rally in Jambusar, said, "Modi wants to rule Gujarat like a sultan of six crore people. People have to stop this sultan."
Countering the attack, Modi said, "He (Patel) called Modi a `sultan!...But it is dynasty that produces sultans and you spent your life in the service of these sultans in New Delhi, hence you cannot think of any other word."
"We are here due to the support of people and Ahmed miyan, if you understand democracy, the word sultan would never have come out!," Modi said.
Meanwhile, Patel, who campaigned at Mangrol in Surat today, continued his tirade against Modi saying he is the "most corrupt person" in Gujarat.
"He (Modi) is saying that there is no corruption in Gujarat government. But it has been proved that he is the most corrupt person in Gujarat...If dogs from across the world are released, they would find Chief Minister`s bungalow in Gandhinagar, a hub of corruption," Patel said.
Raking up the issue of Congress chief ministerial candidate for Gujarat, Modi had said around ten days back that opposition party wants to make Patel the chief minister of the state, but are afraid to declare it in public.
Expressing displeasure over Modi`s remarks, Congress poll committee chairman Shankersingh Vaghela had accused Modi of dragging the name of Ahmed Patel into electioneering ahead of Gujarat Assembly polls because he "wanted to play the communal card".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days