Narendra Modi inaugurates Garba festival in Gujarat
Ahmedabad: Gujarat Chief Minister and BJP`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi on Saturday said that festivals in the country should be encouraged because they showcase Indian`s culture to the world.
The BJP leader, who inaugurated the longest dance festival Garba today at the GMDC ground here, stressed on the importance of having such cultural festivals in the country.
"Garba is a dance form where Goddess Shakti is worshipped. It`s an age old tradition in our country. This festival not only brings spirituality to a person`s life but also disciplines him in many ways," Modi said.
"I feel such festivals in India should be encouraged because they showcase our culture to the world," he added.
Dressed in his traditional white kurta, the 63-year-old politician also said festivals like Navratra and Kumbh Mela have helped to boost tourism in the country.
"From the past few years, we have witnessed that Kumbh and Navratra have increased tourist footfall in the country. European countries are also taking interest to know more about these festivals," he said.
His speech, delivered in Hindi to spread the message of Garba across the nation, was followed by a cultural performance.
Crowd, mostly comprised of youths dressed in traditional attire, gathered in large numbers to be the part of the nine-day dance festival.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!