Narendra Modi seeking to better Keshubhai`s record in Gujarat in LS polls
Ahmedabad: BJP`s prime ministerial nominee Narendra Modi is leaving no stone unturned to improve the seat tally from his home-state in the coming Lok Sabha elections.
Modi, as Chief Minister, has secured emphatic victories for three times in a row in Gujarat Assembly elections (2002, 2007 and 2009), but the party`s performance in the state in Lok Sabha elections has not matched up.
BJP won 15 out of the 26 Lok Sabha seats from Gujarat in 2009, while Congress bagged 11. In 2004 BJP had won 14 Lok Sabha seats against Congress`s 12.
This record pales in comparison with that of Keshubhai Patel. In 1998, with Patel (then with BJP) as the Chief Minister, the party had won an impressive 20 out of 26 seats, improving on 16 seats won in 1996.
BJP sources said that Modi has set the state unit an ambitious target: to win all the 26 seats. Preparations have begun early to make it possible.
Party expects that Gujaratis would vote more enthusiastically for it this time, with Modi as its prime ministerial candidate.
"Micro-level surveys have been conducted and all the basic preparations except naming of candidates have been completed by the state BJP for the Lok Sabha polls under the guidance of Gujarat Chief Minister," BJP spokesperson Harsad Patel said.
Noting that Modi "has taken personal interest" to ensure that nothing is lacking in preparations, Patel said, "Our target is to win 26 out of 26 seats as this is the home state of Modi.
"In July-August, we conducted Assembly
constituency-wise analysis, in which booths which are strong or not strong were identified keeping in mind their significance for parliamentary constituencies," Patel said.
"We also undertook a drive to enroll a maximum number of people in our organisation. We asked every cell of state BJP to recruit at least one lakh people each," he said.
"In September, we conducted a similar exercise for Lok Sabha seats. Now we have the data for the entire state as to where we are strong and where we are weak, down to the booth level.
The seats where there will be a tough fight have been identified and a report has been submitted to party president Rajnath Singh on October 1, Patel said.
"We can say that we have completed all the basic work for the elections before the Assembly elections in the five states, so that the Chief Minister (Modi) can focus at national level," he said.
"We will canvass about the work done by the Modi government, ineffective governance of UPA and also foucus on local political compulsions, to turn the tables in the constituencies where we are weak," Patel said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes
- CBSE Results 2015: Girls outperform boys in Class 12 Board Exams