Narendra Modi to address Indians in 18 US cities
Washington: Still a persona non grata in the US, Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi is again set to talk to the Indian community in 18 cities in North America via satellite from state capital of Gandhinagar on Sunday.
He will be the keynote speaker at Gujarat Day celebrations across North America, according to the organisers of the event, Indian/Gujarati Samuday of North America, an informal grouping of several community organisations.
Various ethnic Gujarati associations had decided to celebrate Gujarat Day in America on May 12 to celebrate the May 1, 1960 formation of the state, the organisers said. Modi, they said, was invited to share his vision of "Good Governance" that is the foundation of Gujarat`s growth story
The events to hear Modi will be held in New York; Edison, New Jersey; Atlanta, Georgia; Charlotte, North Carolina; Dallas, Texas; Phoenix, Arizona; Riverside, Los Angeles-Norwalk, Placentia and Fremont (Silicon Valley), California, Chicago, Rolling Meadows and Bloomington, Illinois; Minneapolis-Edina, Minnesota; Indianapolis and Merrillville, Indiana; Cincinnati, Ohio; and Baltimore, Maryland.
Modi, who has been denied a US visa since 2005 for his alleged role in the 2002 Gujarat riots, last spoke to the Indian diaspora in North America via satellite in March after the Wharton India Economic Forum withdrew an invitation to him to speak following protests from some students and faculty of the University of Pennsylvania.
While the United States Commission on International Religious Freedom (USCIRF), an independent, bipartisan US federal body has recently asked the State Department to keep the visa ban on Modi, the US business has been warming up to the controversial leader.
A delegation from the US, including members of the House of Representatives and business leaders, led by Republican House member Aaron Schock recently met Modi in Gandhinagar recently and lauded the state`s economic development under his leadership.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video