Narendra Modi`s claim on Gujarat development contested
New Delhi: The claim by Narendra Modi about Gujarat being a leader in development has been contested by Congress MP and Haryana Chief Minister`s son Depeendra Hooda who has cited official figures to portray a different picture.
Hooda has referred to key development indices like per capita income, gross state domestic product (GSDP) and human development index besides some other factors to contend that Modi is not being "truthful".
Citing Planning Commission figures on GSDP, Hooda said Haryana was the second fastest growing state in the country, registering an economic growth of 17.1 per cent in 2011-12 compared to 15.68 per cent of Gujarat in the fiscal.
The Planning Commission data also shows that Haryana`s annual average economic growth rate during nine years from 2001-02 to 2010-11 was 10.4 per cent as compared to 6.1 per cent of Gujarat.
Regarding per capita income, the Planning Commission figures show that Haryana tops the chart with Rs 92,327 whereas Gujarat is placed at the sixth position with Rs 63,996 in 2011.
Hooda also cited United Nations Human Development Index report which has placed Haryana at fifth rank with score of 0.552 whereas Gujarat is at 10th rank with 0.527 points.
"Gujarat has a bit to catch up. Its chief minister`s claims are hollow. Congress ruled states have outperformed Gujarat in every sector," Hooda told PTI.
"Modi should be truthful and modest," the young MP said while commenting on the Gujarat government`s oft-repeated claim that the state is leader in development.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur