Narendra Modi`s promise to build 50 lakh houses misleading: Maken
Ahmedabad: Union Minister for Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation Ajay Maken on Saturday questioned the feasibility of Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s claim to build 50 lakh low-cost houses in the next five years, and said that he was misleading the poor in Gujarat with such promises.
"I was really surprised to know that in the manifesto of BJP which was released by Modi, they have announced to build 50 lakh houses in the state in next five years," Maken said while speaking to mediamen.
"But when I, as a minister concerned with Housing, checked the facts, figures and assessed the performance of the Gujarat government, I think Modi is playing with the emotions of poor people of Gujarat," he alleged.
"How could a government, which had built and allotted only 55,399 houses out of 1,39,490 and that too in the past seven years, claim to build 50 lakhs houses in five years," he asked.
Elaborating he said, "I want to tell you that from 2005 till date, Union Government has sanctioned total of Rs 2,492 crores to build 1,39,490 houses under JNURM (Jawaharlal Nehru Urban Rural Mission). But Gujarat government has built and allotted only 55,399 houses."
"Union Government has sanctioned 2,492.81 crore to build 1,39,490 houses and if you apply statistics to build 50 lakh houses, even if we don`t count cost of land, it requires Rs two lakh crores," he said.
"And if you add the amount of Gujarat government`s five year budget it doesn`t come to Rs 2 lakh crores," Maken said.
"This type of talking, with which people get misled, doesn`t suit a political leader like Narendra Modi," he added.
To a question on how would Congress, which has received 40 lakhs forms from women for its proposed scheme and poll promise of `own your home` (Ghar nu Ghar), will build these many houses, Maken referred to the recently announced Credit Risk Guarantee Fund Scheme (CGFC).
"We have are not claiming that we will build houses and give it to them. Ten days ago, we have announced CGFC. And we have deposited Rs 1,000 crore into the trust of this scheme, which will give us Rs 60,000 crore bank loan through HUDCO. Any poor person can avail this facility for a house," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'