Narendra Modi`s promise to build 50 lakh houses misleading: Maken
Ahmedabad: Union Minister for Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation Ajay Maken on Saturday questioned the feasibility of Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s claim to build 50 lakh low-cost houses in the next five years, and said that he was misleading the poor in Gujarat with such promises.
"I was really surprised to know that in the manifesto of BJP which was released by Modi, they have announced to build 50 lakh houses in the state in next five years," Maken said while speaking to mediamen.
"But when I, as a minister concerned with Housing, checked the facts, figures and assessed the performance of the Gujarat government, I think Modi is playing with the emotions of poor people of Gujarat," he alleged.
"How could a government, which had built and allotted only 55,399 houses out of 1,39,490 and that too in the past seven years, claim to build 50 lakhs houses in five years," he asked.
Elaborating he said, "I want to tell you that from 2005 till date, Union Government has sanctioned total of Rs 2,492 crores to build 1,39,490 houses under JNURM (Jawaharlal Nehru Urban Rural Mission). But Gujarat government has built and allotted only 55,399 houses."
"Union Government has sanctioned 2,492.81 crore to build 1,39,490 houses and if you apply statistics to build 50 lakh houses, even if we don`t count cost of land, it requires Rs two lakh crores," he said.
"And if you add the amount of Gujarat government`s five year budget it doesn`t come to Rs 2 lakh crores," Maken said.
"This type of talking, with which people get misled, doesn`t suit a political leader like Narendra Modi," he added.
To a question on how would Congress, which has received 40 lakhs forms from women for its proposed scheme and poll promise of `own your home` (Ghar nu Ghar), will build these many houses, Maken referred to the recently announced Credit Risk Guarantee Fund Scheme (CGFC).
"We have are not claiming that we will build houses and give it to them. Ten days ago, we have announced CGFC. And we have deposited Rs 1,000 crore into the trust of this scheme, which will give us Rs 60,000 crore bank loan through HUDCO. Any poor person can avail this facility for a house," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27