Narendra Modi’s role must be probed: Congress
New Delhi: The Congress party on Wednesday attacked Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi after sitting BJP MLA Mayaben Kodnani was convicted in the Naroda Patiya riot case.
Senior party leader Digvijay Singh said that the verdict has proved the role of BJP leaders in post-Godhra riots and claimed that the pogrom was carried out with support of Modi.
“Now it is proved that ministers and officials of BJP were involved in Gujarat riots and all this happened under the guidance of Modi…can any minister (take part in riots) do this without the support of the Chief Minister?” asked Digvijay.
Digvijay also strongly pitched for the need to probe the role of the Chief Minister.
Another senior party leader Jagdambika Pal said, “Now that Kodnani has been convicted under Section 302 of IPC, Modi cannot prove himself as innocent.”
A special court today convicted 32 people for the massacre of 97 people in Naroda Patiya locality during the 2002 riots.
Besides Kodnani and Bajrang Dal leader Babu Bajrangi was amongst those held guilty. The court also acquitted 29 people in the case.
On Feb 28, 2002, a total of 97 people were killed in the industrial locality of Naroda.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS