Narendra Modi’s role must be probed: Congress
New Delhi: The Congress party on Wednesday attacked Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi after sitting BJP MLA Mayaben Kodnani was convicted in the Naroda Patiya riot case.
Senior party leader Digvijay Singh said that the verdict has proved the role of BJP leaders in post-Godhra riots and claimed that the pogrom was carried out with support of Modi.
“Now it is proved that ministers and officials of BJP were involved in Gujarat riots and all this happened under the guidance of Modi…can any minister (take part in riots) do this without the support of the Chief Minister?” asked Digvijay.
Digvijay also strongly pitched for the need to probe the role of the Chief Minister.
Another senior party leader Jagdambika Pal said, “Now that Kodnani has been convicted under Section 302 of IPC, Modi cannot prove himself as innocent.”
A special court today convicted 32 people for the massacre of 97 people in Naroda Patiya locality during the 2002 riots.
Besides Kodnani and Bajrang Dal leader Babu Bajrangi was amongst those held guilty. The court also acquitted 29 people in the case.
On Feb 28, 2002, a total of 97 people were killed in the industrial locality of Naroda.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued